Men in Balance™ Discussion Group Curriculum
Week 1: Fathers and their influence (2 hrs.)
- Traits (good and bad) of our fathers
- Impacts of our fathers on our lives
- Role of fathers in passage to manhood
- Absent or missing (or emotionally absent) fathers and its impact
- Christian implication of being a father
Week 2: Career (2 hrs.)
- What are the career traps for men?
- Balancing work and home life
- Long term impact of work commitments
- Personal identification with career/implications
- Retirement: what to do with it
Week 3: Marriage (2 hrs.)
- What makes a good marriage?
- God's plan for marriage: Is it realistic?
- Communication in marriage
- Resolving differences
- Divorce and its aftermath/options
Week 4: Sex and Intimacy (2 hrs.)
- Why do men say they want more sex but not more conversation?
- Sex: Men's view vs. Women's view
- How is sex different from intimacy?
- Role of communication in an intimate relationship
Week 5: Family Life (2 hrs.)
- How much togetherness do you need?
- Keeping the whole family involved
- Teens and family life: special needs?
- Church attendance and family connection
Week 6: Christian Life as a Man (2 hrs.)
- Making a priority of your spiritual development
- Being a spiritual leader in your home
- Keeping your faith real and active
- Christian life and work/career
Week 7: (Optional) Wrap-up/Review
- Free-wheeling discussion of all previous topics, integrating them into a balanced life; discussion about continuing to meet or creating other groups; whatever is on your mind.
"A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
Marlon Brando as Don Carleone in THE GODFATHER